Saturday, July 10, 2010

Elliot Grace's Powerful Piece on Gulf Crisis

This morning I read a post by Elliot Grace, a fellow writer whose blog I just discovered. His post made me look at a situation I have avoided because it hurts too much.

This picture (which I borrowed from Elliot) cracked me open. My eyes. My heart. My mind.

You see, I ache for the littles. And right now, there is so much pain and terror, I didn't want to be overwhelmed. So I looked away.

I no longer can.

I have a special affinity for pelicans and wrote a yet-published children's book with a pelican as a main character. This prehistoric-looking bird captured my heart years ago on the beaches of Panama City, FL. Then the widespread use of a pesticide known as DDT almost wiped them out in the early '70's. DDT was banned and the pelicans made a come-back.

Until now.

The Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion in April of this year has changed everything. Our Brown Pelican is once again threatened, along with the rest of the life in the Gulf.

My heart breaks. Please click over and read Elliot's piece. It is gut wrenching and true, and it is written from the heart. The WhackaDoodle elements? He points them out. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Kellies Heros." I draw that Kilroy Was Here man all the time. I even put him in my first book. Yes, graffiti goes to space.

    ReplyDelete